Car accidents that involve injuries can be complex and time-consuming, especially if the injuries are serious. When you’re injured and unable to work, it’s understandable why you would want your settlement right away. So you can pay your bills, not fall into debt, and ultimately move forward from this traumatic time in your life. Every case is different, but how long does a car accident settlement take in Montgomery, AL? Continue reading to find out what’s involved in a car accident injury claim and how long your car accident settlement may take.
What Factors Influence the Timeline of a Car Accident Settlement?
Many different factors affect the time frame for a car accident settlement. In cases when it is clear who was at fault, appropriate insurance coverage exists, and only minor injuries occurred, the case may be settled in as quickly as a few weeks or months. However, there are several factors that could extend the amount of time your settlement could take.
Other factors that can complicate claims include:
- The severity of injuries: If you sustained severe injuries because of the accident, such as brain injuries, amputations, or debilitating back injuries that require surgeries, therapy, or ongoing treatment, your claim is likely to take longer.
- Cooperation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company: If you have expensive injuries and large medical bills, the insurance company will likely try to negotiate the settlement in their favor. If the other driver adds to the complication by insisting they weren’t at fault, the insurance company is also unlikely to be cooperative.
- Questions of fault: If the fault isn’t clearly established, the insurance company may be hesitant to settle and more likely to challenge the claim.
- Court cases: If a settlement negotiation fails to produce a fair offer, you may need to take the case to court.
Seeking Fair Compensation in Court
Sometimes, taking a case to court is necessary to maximize your chance at fair compensation. While it’s rare for a car accident case to go to court, it’s helpful to understand the court process to get an idea of how long a settlement could take.
This process includes:
- Filing a complaint with the court.
- A discovery conference, in which the attorneys from both parties meet and decide on a schedule to exchange document requests and questions to gather information and evidence.
- Discovery, which is when both sides file requests and wait for a response. It can take up to 30 days until both sides have all the information.
- Pre-trial motions, which may include motions to exclude evidence, challenge expert testimony, or dismiss the case.
- The trial, which doesn’t happen often. Many cases settle before the case makes it to trial, even if the process has begun.
Call the Thumbs Up Guys™
Car accident injury claims timelines vary widely according to each claim holders’ unique circumstances. If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Montgomery, AL, The Thumbs Up Guys™ at Floyd Hunter Injury Law can help. We’ll handle all the hard work for you, from gathering evidence to negotiating settlements and preparing the case for court. We will fight for the compensation you deserve. Call 334-452-4000 or fill out the online form for your free case review!