Are You Following These School Bus Safety Tips?
With school back in session, parents, students and drivers need to know the risks of school bus accidents and important tips to help keep everyone safe. Attorney Steve Floyd recently joined Alabama Live Host Tonya Terry to discuss alarming statistics and the safety tips you need to know.
How Safe is it to Ride on a Bus?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Organization, children who take a school bus instead of a car are 70x more likely to arrive safely.
Although safety is of the utmost importance, unfortunately, school bus accidents do occur. In fact, nearly 128 people die in school-bus related accidents each year.
Did You Know 70% of School Bus Accident Fatalities Are Passengers of Other Vehicles?
The majority of those tragic fatality victims were the drivers and passengers of other vehicles, followed by pedestrians and cyclists and passengers on a school bus.
- 9% of the fatalities were occupants of the school bus
- 70% were occupants of other vehicles
- 20% were pedestrians and cyclists
Whether you are a school bus driver, a cyclist or a pedestrian, it is important to share the roads safely and watch out for each other. With distracted driving becoming more and more common, the risk of accidents increases dramatically.
What Should Drivers Do to Be Safe?
As school buses are coming back on the roads, drivers may need a few reminders about school bus safety. Here are important tips to keep in mind.
- Always be alert and watch out for children
- Drive the speed limit and take caution in neighborhoods
- Look carefully for children before backing out of a driveway or parking spot
- Slow down when a bus has flashing yellow lights and stop once the lights flash red – it’s the law
- Leave a few minutes earlier for work or running errands due to more school traffic
What Should Parents Teach their Children?
Parents play an important role in helping to educate their children about the dangers of accidents and how to stay safe. Parents are encouraged to speak with their children about these safety tips.
- At the bus stop, stay away from traffic, do not play in or run out into the streets
- Always look left, right and left again before crossing the street
- Wait until the bus has completely stopped before walking toward the bus
- Stay in your seat on the bus
- Make sure aisles are clear of bookbags and other items
We hope that by following these tips and using caution, everyone can have a safe school year. Your actions can help save lives.
Injured in a School Bus Accident? We’re Here to Help.
When you call, you’ll receive a FREE case evaluation. There is never an attorney’s fee due upfront and we don’t get paid until you do. It’s that simple. Let Floyd Hunter Alabama Injury Lawyers fight to secure the maximum insurance settlement that you may deserve.
We will fight to protect your rights to the fair insurance settlement that you deserve when injured in a bike accident. Call Floyd Hunter Injury Law for a Free Legal Consultation at 334-523-8150.
Call Floyd Hunter Injury Law, because the right lawyers make a real difference.