A Fatal Pedestrian Accident Raises Concerns Among Local Residents
You may think that walking across the street, or walking on a sidewalk near a light would be safe, but often times drivers are not paying attention. Additionally, with the constant use of mobile devices these days, many pedestrians are not paying attention, and are crossing streets, intersections, with their heads down in their phones. This is not safe.
Alabama ranked “Top 10 Most Dangerous States” for pedestrian accidents with over 96 fatalities in 2016 alone. Pedestrian accidents are preventable and we all need to pay much more attention when behind the wheel of a vehicle, and while walking.
Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Drinking & driving
- Distracted driving
- Not paying attention due to a mobile device or cell phone
- Not paying attention due to listening to music while walking
A recent pedestrian accident reminds us just how serious these accidents can be. Two pedestrians were hit early Wednesday night. One pedestrian suffered serious injuries, the other pedestrian suffered fatal injuries. This accident is still under investigation, but alcohol is not said to be a factor.
Now with daylight savings it is getting darker much earlier, and you need to prepare for this. Especially when walking as the sun goes down, keep in mind to:
- Wear brighter clothes
- Have a flash light
- Have reflectors on your jacket
- Think about the need to be seen
It is very important that all drivers pay attention, especially at night. And it is equally important for pedestrians to be aware and make themseleves visable in the dark.
Here are some safety tips to remember:
- Be Seen – wear bright reflective clothing at night, carry a flashlight and stand clear of buses, parked cars or any other obstacles before crossing the street.
- Be Alert – utilize the sidewalk at all times, never walk distracted, look twice before crossing the street even if there is a signal, and always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be Cautious at Crossings – always cross streets at marked locations and obey the traffic signals. Look for turning vehicles before crossing the street and make sure each lane is clear.
- Never Drive Distracted – it is critical that all motorist are alert while driving and NEVER text and drive!
- Abide by Traffic Laws – all drivers should pay attention to crosswalk signs, never speed and check twice for pedestrians before turning.
- Drive Sober – there is no excuse to get behind the wheel intoxicated! It is important to always plan ahead, designate a DD and use the multiple car service available if you have been drinking.
Floyd Hunter Injury Law is dedicated to protecting the rights of the injured throughout the State of Alabama. Our experienced Alabama Pedestrian Accident Attorneys are committed to protecting the rights of people injured by the negligence of others.
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident call Floyd Hunter Injury Law at 334-452-4000. At Floyd Hunter Injury Law, an experienced Montgomery Serious Accident lawyer will review every detail of your case and determine the best course of action for you.
We will fight hard to protect your right to the full and fair compensation you may deserve.
Call Floyd Hunter Injury Law, Montgomery Alabama Accident Lawyers for a FREE case evaluation at 334-452-4000. We’re here to protect your rights. There is no attorney’s fee due up front. And we only get paid, after you do.
Get Floyd Hunter Injury Law on Your Side…Because the Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference.