Researchers Find Pedestrians Cause Majority of Pedestrian Accident Fatalities
When walking to a shop, across a busy street or even in your neighborhood for a stroll, it’s likely you will see people who are glued to their phones while walking. This normalized activity is dangerous and can be fatal. It’s important to think twice about picking up your phone when walking since an accident could happen in an instant.
According to the Center for Advanced Public Safety (CAPS) at the University of Alabama, 66% of pedestrian fatalities in Alabama were caused by pedestrians, not drivers. This alarming finding demonstrates the risk of “distracted walking.”
To put the danger in perspective:
- In 2017, 6,000 pedestrians were killed nationally
- In 2016, 120 pedestrians were killed in Alabama
The study also found a disturbing trend that pedestrian accidents in Alabama increased by 63% from 2008 to 2017, with injuries increasing by 51%. With pedestrian accidents on the rise, what can pedestrians do to keep themselves and others safe?
- Avoid Using Your Cell Phone While Walking: Keep your head up and look ahead of you. If you need to call or text, stop safely.
- Cross at Designated Crosswalks: Avoid crossing in areas that do not have crosswalks as this will make it more difficult for drivers to see you.
- Look Left, Right, Left: Make sure to look left, right and left again before crossing.
- Wear Bright Colors/Reflective Clothing at Night: Make it easier for drivers to see you—especially at night.
Drivers Share the Blame
With more than 600,000 people using mobile electronic devices in their cars each day, drivers are more distracted than ever. Sadly, nine Americans die in accidents caused by distracted drivers every day. To avoid distracted driving, check out the safety tips in this video.
If you or a loved one are seriously injured in a pedestrian accident that was not your fault, call the experienced Montgomery Car Accident Attorneys at Floyd Hunter at 334-452-4000.
When you call, you’ll receive a FREE case evaluation by an experienced Alabama car crash injury lawyer. There is never an attorney’s fee due upfront and we don’t get paid until you do. It’s that simple.
We will fight to protect your right to the fair insurance settlement that you deserve for your car accident claim. Call Floyd Hunter Injury Law for a Free Legal Consultation at 334-452-4000.
Call FloydHunter Injury Law, because the right lawyers make a real difference.